U.A. & Gladys Massey

About Us

U.A. and Gladys Massey had been traveling for a few years holding music schools in Pentecostal churches, teaching people how to read music. In 1953 they felt God directing them to start a church in Tulsa. After looking around, they found a location they could make do. The Kokomo club at 1735 North Cincinnati Street was closed and available to rent – so they paid the rent, cleaned it out, started church services with a few people, and named their church Bethel Tabernacle.

In 1954 they purchased property at 606 North Denver and built a church. They changed the name to First United Pentecostal Church. About 1956 Mrs. Massey became sick with cancer. They lived upstairs at the church until she died in 1957, at the age of forty-eight. After her death Rev. Massey resigned and moved out of  state. About this same time, after pastoring several years in Sapulpa, Rev. E.G. and Naomi (Lyon) Bass had resigned and been granted permission from the Oklahoma board to build a new church in Southeast Tulsa.

At the 1957 youth camp in Bristow, the board asked the Basses if they would consider taking the church at 606 North Denver. After praying about it, their answer was yes; and the people voted him in as pastor July 7, 1957.

E.G. & Naomi Bass

When Rev. Bass was installed as pastor, because the church building was far from finished and was in debt, the board installed him as the “building pastor.’

The church has gone through several renovations. Property has been purchased both in back of the church for additional parking and north of the church for additional building space. In 1996 a 60′ x 80′ building was built for Sunday School classes, kitchen, and fellowship hall.

Gregg & Suzie Joki

In July of 2017, Rev. Gregg Joki & his family moved to Tulsa and he was elected to take pastorate of the First United Pentecostal Church.

Our church carries a rich history of Bible-based teaching, relevant programs, powerful worship and friendly people to make you feel welcome.